Monday, May 5, 2008

Good, bad and ugly of Selayang Hospital



I PEN this account to inform all those concerned of some major flaws in our public hospitals which must be corrected.
Let me declare, at the outset, that this is not a complaint. My intention of going public with this matter should be seen as a genuine attempt at assisting the Ministry of Health (MOH) to correct some nagging problems that have been plaguing our public hospitals.
This is a personal experience which took place in Selayang Hospital, a new hospital located 15km north of Kuala Lumpur. I will not mention the names of the surgeons involved out of respect for them here but will refer to them as Mr B and Mr A, as surgeons are professionally addressed as 'Mr'. (However, I must respectfully inform them that their names will be mentioned in my official report to Tan Sri Dr Ismail Merican, Director-General of Medical Services, Malaysia, who had requested me to furnish him details of what actually happened.)
This is my story.
My Aunt Lucy (my late father's youngest sister) was referred to Selayang Hospital by the Sarawak General Hospital in Kuching. She is 63 years old and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on June 26 this year. It has been a long, agonising three-month wait for her to undergo an operation (a hepatobiliary procedure).
When she was finally informed by the Kuching Hospital in mid-September that an operation date has been scheduled for her in Selayang Hospital on Oct 3, she was elated but sadly, her joy was short-lived.
SEPT 30 (Sunday): She followed the Kuching hospital's instructions to the letter, flew to Kuala Lumpur on Sept 30 and was duly warded in Selayang Hospital the same evening. She was accompanied by my cousin, Alice, from Kuching.
In passing, let me mention some minor hiccups. The ambulance from Selayang Hospital which was supposed to turn up at the KLIA on Sept 30 to pick up my aunt never came. So, Alice called a cab instead. Arriving in Selayang Hospital at about 2.30pm, Alice later informed me that she was 'pushed here and there' for more than three hours before she finally managed to get our aunt warded at 6.00pm. I later learnt that this mismatch was due more to the fault of the Kuching side rather than Selayang's.
OCT 1 (Monday): The next day was a smooth, happy and stress-free one. My aunt was seen by the doctors and was duly taken for a CT scan. After that, she was specifically informed that the operation would be performed on Oct 3 (as scheduled). That night, my aunt was jovial and slept well. She felt very comfortable in the hospital - the second-class ward was air-cond with two attached bathrooms. She only had praises for this comfort provided by the hospital. I was also profoundly impressed with this ultra-modern Selayang Hospital and the facilities there. This was also my first visit to the hospital although I have been living in Kuala Lumpur for many years.
Read more here

No comments: